Saturday, August 22, 2009

Man versus Redneck

I saw something wonderful today. Bear Grylls, that Man Versus Wild dude, got dumped in Alabama for one of his survival adventures. Seeing as I am from Alabama, I made some assumptions about what might occur, but first a little mood music.



Yea, I had to watch this show. I have kind of got tired of Ole Bear running around doing stupid stuff and getting paid for it, but I felt I had a pretty good idea where this episode would head. To save me some explaining, it would probably be better if you just watched Deliverance. Yea, I figured that good ole Bear would find him some good ole backwoods Alabama Redneck Ned Beatty type of lovin. Fortunate for Bear, but unfortunate for the viewer, it turned out to be pretty mild.

Bear didn't end up squealing like a pig, but he did capture and kill a live one. He said he did it humanely, but that part of the show didn't really work for me. Yea, if you are stuck out in the woods with no food, you might have to do something like that, but that doesn't mean I want to see it on my television. I kept waiting for the good ole boy who owned the pig to show up and the fireworks would begin, but it never happened.

He did run across someone doing some controlled burning. How did he respond? He rolled around in mud and then jumped across the 6 inch high flames. You da man Bear. I was expecting you to pull some MacGyver stuff and show how you could construct a fire truck from things readily available in the woods.

He also managed to climb down a hill made a pretty cool raft that looked kind of like an tube. He bent sticks into a circle, tied them together, and then wrapped a sheet of plastic or something around them. Pretty cool. It actually worked.

What I found ironic is that he was in Alabama and how tough he described the conditions. Yes, you will get hot in Alabama. No, you ain't going to freeze to death. No, you aren't going to have any trouble finding water. It was described as one of his tougher adventures, but I just don't get it. I have been for walks in the woods in Alabama. I have even got lost walking in the woods in Alabama. Where's my TV show?

Take Care,
 Steve










No comments:

Followers