Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Holiday Movies

Instant Topic
As soon as I posted my last blog I realized I had left off something that I love about the holiday season, which is the movies. I love them. I can't get enough. I own severral on VHS and really need to get the DVDs.

It's a Wonderful Life
This has long been one of my Christmas favorites. I think we can all appreciate George Bailey and the pressure that he is under. Yes, many people get the holiday blues. It is understandable because everyone wishes they could do more for the holidays than they are capable. This movie clearly shows what is really important and is a good check to get your priorities in order. Jimmy Stewart has a very memorable moment.


Christmas Vacation
I simply love this movie. No, it isn't serious. Yes, there are some messages in it. But mainly I just love it because it is so light hearted. There is even a religious side to the movie if you listen carefully.


A Christmas Story
This movie captures the feelings of a kid anticipating Christmas better than any other movie I know. This is what I grew up with. This movie also contains one of the coolest beans insults you will hear.


Plains, Trains, & Automobiles
Yes, this one is about a guy trying to get home for Thanksgiving, but it has that same Christmas message. This is a movie that continues to grow on me. This movie had one of the most unique bonding moments in movie history.


Miracle on 34th Street
This one is a movie that I really didn't get into at first, but the more I watch it, the more I love it. The guy that plays Santa Claus is my picture of the ideal Santa Claus. This movie contained a wonderful message regarding faith. Now, this clip is a bit different. You can find a radio version of the entire thing free here.

A Christmas Carol
There are numerous versions of this story and I like them all. No, I don't consider this as good as I once did, but it is still a must see at Christmas. You can find an audio version of it here.

The Santa Claus
Out of the recent Christmas movies, this is probably the closest thing to becoming a classic that I have seen. I didn't really care for the sequels that much, but the first one is very entertaining.

Quarterback Punch
I just heard on ESPN that a Notre Dame "fan" punched their QB, Jimmy Clausen, in the face. Man, I love college football and the kids that play it, but some fans seem to take stupidity to a different level.


Feedback
I am starting to get the blogging itch again, as if you hadn't noticed. As usual, I tend to just blog about whatever happens to be on my mind. Any feedback on what you like or dislike would be appreciated.


Milk Executions
China has executed two people associated with the tainted milk scandal. Yes, they were killed for selling tainted milk that lead to the death of some babies.


Star Trek
I am a Star Trek fan. Often I find parables in Star Trek episodes that correspond with real life events, which I find interesting. I also admire the actor's ability to say some of the things with a straight face. Is there something other than a level 3 diagnostic? How can you talk intelligently about clever engineering solutions to problems when you have no idea what you are talking about. Hey, what if we rotate the shield harmonics, re-calibrate the photon torpedoes, and put on side two of Led Zepplin IV? It just might work.


What's In a Name?
The name you choose for your kid can make or break their career. Is it fair? No. Is it reality? Yes, I find it very likely. Check out this story.



Enjoy the holidays. I know I will.

Take Care,
 Steve


No comments:

Followers