Monday, November 23, 2009

Thanksgiving Weekend Activities

Another Topic
Well, I appear to be on a roll as topics go. This makes the second blog in a row that I actually have a topic. Not bad. Okay, I stray from the topic considerably, but it is a topic still.
Christmas Shopping
I have big plans for shopping this year. I am heading to Amazon and will click my way through my Christmas shopping. I am so excited. No crowded parking lots for me:)

The Iron Bowl
On Friday at 2:30 eastern time comes my favorite even of the year, the Iron Bowl. It is a football game between Auburn and Alabama, also known as the evil empire. I can't wait. I am an Auburn fan and we are big time underdogs, but I do enjoy watching that game.

High Speed Rail
One of the choices the United States made was to go with an interstate system rather than a railway system. This was a decision made during the Eisenhower administration. It is a decision that will become more apparent in the near future. One of the joys in traveling to England was that you could get around everywhere with their rail system. China is investing in a huge high speed rail system, which will effectively reduce the size of their country. With trains traveling at over 200 miles per hour, it will change their world.

You my have heard that Warren Buffet made a huge acquisition of a railroad not to long ago. Some of the reasons that he mentioned was that because shipping by rail is much more efficient, environmentally friendly, and cost effective.

This may seem against American culture, but it makes a lot of sense. Think about it. When you travel by car you are taking a couple of tons of metal with you. How efficient can that be? Additionally, you have to start and stop this big piece of metal. This isn't very efficient at all and much more time consuming.

I believe that Buffet has anticipated one of the biggest changes that we will see in our lifetime, the advent of high speed rail in the United States. Imagine that you live in some small town with a rail line that through. You jump on a commuter train to the nearest big city. Suddenly you have high speed rail available that will get you to other big cities while traveling at over 200 miles per hour. Imagine the change this will make to our world.

In many cases traveling by train will be quicker than traveling by air. Sure, planes travel at around 500 miles per hour, but how much time do you spend in the airport? Our world will truly change.
Odd Spelling
I
ran across a word with two Vs in a row. I never thought about it
before, but how rare is that? Can anyone name a word with two Vs in a
row? I will include the word I found at the bottom of this column. Think about it though.

Walking the Puppy
Yes, it is a bit chilly these days, but I am looking forward to walking the puppy over the long weekend. We both enjoy it and can use the exercise.

Blog Format
So, what do you think of the new blog format. I kind of like it. It gives it a newspaper type feel and is different than most.

Legal Crap
Yes, I am still dealing with legal issues related to the passing of Pop. I am the executor of the will and trying to see that his wishes are carried out. If you are the executor of someone's will, don't be. It is one of the most heart wrenching experiences I have ever been through.

What's the Word?
The word is savvy. Yes, once you see it, it seems obvious. It just never really occurred to me.


And the planning continues....

Take Care,
 Steve


No comments:

Followers