Monday, November 23, 2009

Preparing for Thanksgiving

Topic
Yes, unlike most of my recent blogs I actually have a topic for this one. Go figure. I am trying to get ready for Thanksgiving and want to think through what I should be thankful for.

Loss
I have experienced a lot of loss the last 3 or 4 years, and I feel it should be acknowledged, although being thankful is hardly the word for it.
  • The loss of my wife and kids.
  • The passing of my uncle, Freddie.
  • The passing of my father-in-law, John.
  • The passing of my cousin, Robbie.
  • The passing of my father, Willis (aka Pop).
These people were all important to me and I think it important to be thankful for the time that we had.

Health
Yes, I still have my health. I have my ups and downs. I can't do a lot of what I use to be able to do, but as opposed to the alternative, I am very thankful to still be around.

Travel
Unfortunately I am unable to travel these days, especially on a tight schedule. Because of this I will again get the chance to spend Thanksgiving alone. I am not up for a trip across town, much less an 8 hour drive. But there is thanks to be given here, too. Although I have had to take an enormous amount of time off to handle family issues this year, my boss has told me to take off as much time as I need for Christmas, so I should be able to get home for Christmas. Ironically enough, it is only when I have to get there in one day that I have trouble. If I have two days, I never seem to have trouble. It must be some kind of mental pressure thing, I suppose.

Audio
The strange sound project has advanced to a point I never thought it would achieve. I have over 14,000 files in my sound library including most of the top songs from the 50s, 60s, and 70s. I also have a pretty extensive collection of old radio shows. I also have the odd TV show and movie clips, and the odd theme songs. An odd thought struck me the other day. What if I search my sound library for anything related to the holidays? Suddenly I am listening to a lot of holiday related material, including a radio performance of Miracle on 34th Street. For all of this, I am very thankful.

Eating
One of the things that is different this year is I actually can afford to do Thanksgiving as I wish, so I can blow some bucks on a proper meal. What does that mean? It means I may have the barbeque place cook me a turkey. Woo hoo!!! Throw in some nukem dressing, mashed potatoes, and the like and I should be set. Add cans of green beans as required. I may even get a sugar coma causing pecan pie.

Scooby
In actuality I really am not alone for Thanksgiving. Scooby the Wonder Pup will be here and I must consider something special for him for Thanksgiving. Perhaps that will help with the what to do with the extra turkey issue.

Pop/Security
Because of Pop's hard work and generosity, I no longer have to worry so much about money or a place to live. I now own a home outright in Alabama. I do wish he had enjoyed more of what he earned through his hard work, but I am thankful for all that he has done for me and the family. Love you, Pop.

Mom
She is the rock that keeps me going. If I had heeded her warnings years ago I would have never gone through the turmoil of the last 3 years. She is wise and I learn more and more each day to appreciate her. Love you, Mom.

Baby Brother (aka Warren, aka Daddy Pop)
No, he is no baby and he is the father of a couple of my nieces. He amazes me at times by his willingness to give even when he has so little. Love you, Baby Brother.


Well, I am rambling a bit, but I have also got some holiday spirit going on, so I consider this blog a success. I don't know that there is anything here that would interest anyone, but I hope it is an example of looking for the good.

Take Care,
Steve

No comments:

Followers