Tuesday, December 8, 2009

I'll Sue



I'll Sue - I have often mentioned the evils of blaming, but I ran across an example that I actually kind of enjoy today. Why would I enjoy it? After all, it is a sad tail involving someone's mother dying. How could anyone enjoy that. While I regret the mother's passing, I enjoy the perfect example of irrational blaming it provides.

Lets suppose that your mom was murdered. Suppose they new who did it and have the murder weapon, a baseball bat. Who should you sue? The murderer? No. You should sue the manufacturer of the baseball bat for not providing a warning to the murderer that if you strike someone in the head with this bat, it could kill them.

But that was an intentional homicide. Perhaps a different example is warranted. Suppose your mom is taking a bath. While she is doing so, the cat sneaks in and knocks the hairdryer into the bathtub electrocuting your mom. Well, obviously you can't sue the cat because the cat has no money. How about suing the maker of the hairdryer for not warning people that if your cat knocks the dryer into the tub while you are taking a bath, it could kill you? Nah, that sounds a bit too far fetched. How about just suing because the hairdryer manufacturer didn't provide a warning that taking a bath with this hairdryer could be fatal? Ah, that sounds good.

Well, this is basically the sad case we have with this lady. I am feel sorry that her mother died, but I also feel sorry for the wireless company that has to deal with this idiotic law suit. Yea, who is to blame? Well, apparently the driver of the vehicle that was talking on the cell phone.

But how about blaming the manufacturer of the automobile she was riding in? Couldn't the vehicle been designed safer? Did it have air bags?

What about blaming the mother? Yes, that is right, blame the mother. From what I have heard nobody has ever died in an automobile accident that didn't get in an automobile. By getting in the automobile, she knowingly put herself at risk.

Is that a ridiculous argument? Yes, but just like this lawsuit.
Goofy Pilots - A couple of airline pilots who overflew their destination by about 100 miles are blaming the air traffic controllers. I don't know about you, but it would seem comforting to me, if I were riding in a plane, to know that the pilots actually knew where the heck we were, but maybe that is just me.

Soapy Smith - I was reading on wikipedia about a guy named Soapy Smith, a con artist and gangster of the old west. I was tickled to learn his dying words were "My God, don't shoot"! Yeah, I suppose I have a sick sense of humor.

Twitter Twits - I am noticing a strange thing on twitter. I am getting followers, which might seem flattering, but I don't twit in general. Sure, someone might want to see my myspace I am off to bed thing, but that is about it. I also notice that these people appear to be following a lot of  people, some thousands. I choose to refer to these as Twitter Twits. I do believe they are following me so I will be kind enough to follow them back, or something bizarre like that. Sorry folks, but no go.

Investing - The more I learn, the more I like investing. There really isn't a better feeling than looking at your account balance each day and saying, wow, I made money today for doing absolutely nothing. You can't afford to invest? You really can't afford not to. Think about it. Depending upon the investments you choose and how old you are, investing one dollar today could easily provide you multiple dollars when you retire. Isn't that worth it? If I had started this immediately out of college, I could have retired already



Take Care,
 Steve




No comments:

Followers