Sunday, September 20, 2009

Michael Jackson

What Is The Best Song To Sing Along To?

I offer you this little ditty. There are so many songs I love, but this one is very catchy.



Estate
There is just something wrong with it taking forever for an estate to settle. I heard of one estate that took 5 years. If anyone ever asks you to be their executor, don't.

Specimen
I think if I was a football player, I would object to being referred to as a specimen. After all, when you go for a piss test, they request a specimen.

Carrying The Rock
I am not sure where this phrase came from, possibly the Flintstones, but the football announcers like to use this as some kind of hip way of speaking. I suppose it is to make them seem more with it or something. It ain't working.

Are you in debt?
Well, I use to be in debt too. With the help of my wife, I paid off over $20,000 in credit card debt. I make good money and the debt wasn't a problem, but things change when you get married. Suddenly debt is a big concern. You are the bread winner and responsible for ensuring the family is safe. I mentioned in an earlier blog that you should invest. It occurs to me that some of you may be in debt. If you read my previous post you may have thought that it didn't apply to you because you can't afford it. The truth is, you have a better opportunity to invest than I do. Long term investments tend to at best earn around 4 or 5 percent these days. CD rates are lower than that. If you have a debt that you pay a higher interest rate than that on, you know where you should invest. There isn't a better investment available to you than paying off your debt. You think you can't do it? You can't afford not to do it. Check out this story and imagine the difference it made in these people's lives. Would you rather spend a lifetime in debt or five years working your butt off?

(Stuff)MyDadSays
Here is another goody from this guy. No, I don't write the stuff. I just edit it for general audiences. The guy has a trashy mouth.
"Sometimes life leaves a hundred dollar bill on your dresser, and you don't realize until later that it's because it (screwed) you."

Retirement
Due to my health issues, if I loose this job, I will likely retire. All of my job contacts were lost because of some of the events of the last few years, and it would take forever to re-develop them. At the same time, without being able to drive, going into work every day wouldn't be a good option. Fortunately I have been frugal and am debt free. Because of my father and his amazing dedication to savings, I will have the money to live frugally when the estate settles. I may end up owning a house in Alabama, so rent would be out of the way. The retirement money Pop left me would pretty much handle everything else, so anything else I earn is gravy. I just feel way to young to retire.

War Eagle!!!
Auburn kicked butt tonight. They beat West Virginia 41-30. It was closer than the score indicated. At one point Auburn was down 14-0. It really feels good to be back to the point where I can just set back and relax and watch a football game.

Michael Jackson
To generallize is always a mistake, but I want to share some of my thoughts surrounding the life of Michael Jackson. Yes, we all know that he passed away, and that is sad in itself. He seemed so young. But it is always good when the death of someone can bring meaning to life, and I think Michael's life can be used as an example to some.

I am pretty sure that Michael Jackson was not happy with himself. I say that because of the life he lead and the radical changes to his appearance. I also believe that he had a lot of love to give, and was seeking love. Don't confuse love and sex. I don't know if any of the accusations against Michael were true or not. I just know that being accused doesn't make him any more guilty than you or I. I just see a lonely man that was looking for acceptance.

I see this in many people. It may be the lady who dresses provocatively or the man who is always looking to fight. It could be the person covered with tattooes, or the person covered with piercings. It could be that person with the strangely colored hair or your local racist. All of these are signs to me of someone who is not happy with themself. They try to find ways to make themselves stand out, feel important, or feel better than someone else. They will tell you that they are expressing who they are, when in reality the stand out because they aren't sure who they want to be.

So, what is my point? Why would I bring this up? Because if you view these people in this light, you look at them differently. As I said, it is wrong to generalize so this is not a litmus test, but I suspect that people like this need only to be accepted. In some cases, such as racism, the behavior isn't something that can be condoned, but it many other cases it can. That person with the green and purple striped hair is just a person, a person that is crying for attention. They are not harming anyone, so don't be too quick to make judgments about them. Take the time to get to know them, and we will all be better off because of it.

Myself
I am wondering if I know who I want to be. I wonder about retirement. I wonder why I often grow my hair long. I wonder if I am just as lost as Michael Jackson. I just know that what I have done the last several years makes me proud. I am proud that I was able to follow the family counselor's advice. I am proud I have been able to help my brother. I am proud I have been able to continue to work and thrive while dealing with so many hardships. I am proud to be me. This doesn't mean I know who that I am. I just believe it means that I am headed in the right direction.

Take Care,
Steve











No comments:

Followers