Saturday, September 26, 2009

A Rolling Stone

Short People
Yea, once, back a long long time ago a guy wrote a song to piss off midgets. Yea, it is kind of inconsiderate, but people should just lighten up. Sometimes a song is just a song. When this came out I didn't know why the guy wrote it. These days I wonder if it might be a message about intolerance and how silly it is. Yea, apply it to racism, sexism, or religious intolerance if you like. Does the song sound stupid? Well, I think that is the point.



Race Car
Race car spelled backwards is race car. I just learned that on ESPN. I am sure there is a point there somewhere. I just haven't found it yet.

War Games
Sometimes there are prophetic thoughts where you don't expect them. Somehow my warped mind just recalled one, and it has to be with drama and an old movie. If you ever watched the old move War Games, you know that at the end our hero has the computer play tic-tac-toe. After playing tic-tac-toe for a while, the computer stops and tells our hero that it is an interesting game because the only way to win is not to play. It is the same thing with drama. Hey, Matthew Broderick is telling you something. Try and listen. Go play tic-tac-toe.

Do As I Say, Not As I Do
Those are some of the wisest words I have ever heard. Why? Because it is much easier to give advice than it is to take it.

A Rolling Stone
Yea, it is true that a rolling stone gathers no moss, but what if you are looking to collect moss? Sometimes it pays to stop and think for a minute.

Money
This has been on my mind way too often over the last 6 months or so. No, money can't buy you happiness, but it beats the heck out of whatever is in second place. Why? Because if you have it you have peace of mind. It really stinks being at the point where you are one paycheck away from disaster. That is why I have some money hidden in my apartment that I try to forget. That is why saving is so important to me. That is why I am really enjoying buying mutual funds. You can get them for as little as $100 starting off and suddenly you have a backup. Some are much more risky than others, so I got a mixture. There are some that typically are always making money or at least don't loose much during bad economic times. There are others that offer the chance to make a lot of money, with corresponding risk. I just like having the alternatives.

Warren or Jimmy Buffett
These days I am heavily involved in financial matters. Yes, I am trying to find ways to make money. But there always comes a time when you have to ask yourself if you want to be Warren Buffett of Jimmy Buffett. Personally, I tend to lean towards the Jimmy Buffett side of life. Sure, I like financial security, but I don't really have an interest in being rich. I mean, how many tacos do you really need? So, yea, I am studying investing, but I will still wear Birkenstocks. It works for me.

Stocks
Last February I did some pretend investing. I set up around a dozen pretend accounts and most earned pretend money. Each had about $1000 in it to start off. One lost about $300. Many gained a few hundred. One gained about $5,600. Why does that Russian name come to mind, Sonofabitch? If I had played the game for real, I would have been doing pretty darn good.

(Stuff)MyDadSays
We have another interesting quote from the R-rated philosopher.
"A scar ain't 13 god (danged) stitches. I'll introduce you to men with REAL scars, then we'll all laugh at your (friggin) 13 stitches together."

Take Care,
 Steve








No comments:

Followers